Institutions can elect to schedule FLS Remote Testing at their facility. Remote Testing pricing starts at $250 for up to 10 test takers in a single day, with an additional $100 per day fee for each extra, consecutive day. All eligible test takers must possess a valid FLS test voucher, which is not included in the remote testing fee.
To request remote testing at your facility, please fill out the form linked below. Dates for remote testing must be requested at least three months in advance and may include weekends if desired. We will make every effort to accommodate one of your three requested dates indicated on the form. Once we are able to confirm a requested date for your remote testing session, we will send you a confirmation email along with an invoice for the remote testing fee. Payment for remote testing must be received at least 30 days prior to the confirmed date. Your confirmation email will include pertinent information for preparation of an FLS Remote Testing event, including the information that must be submitted to the SAGES office prior to the event.
SAGES will ship all of the consumable materials needed for testing (suture, ligating loops, gauze, Penrose drains, foam organs) to your institution approximately one week prior to your testing date. The facility is responsible for providing all other required equipment and supplies (trainer box, monitor, computers, video converter, etc). For more information regarding the required FLS testing materials, please go to: Remote Testing Required Materials.
Your institution will be required to have:
- A facilitator who will act as the hands-on assistant for the remote proctor.
- The facilitator must be someone who works in the skills lab and/or has had some experience with the FLS trainer box and laparoscopic instruments.
- It is NOT recommended to have a physician/active clinician act as a facilitator.
- The facilitator must be present for the entire testing day(s) and will need to monitor each test taker for the entire skills test.
- The facilitator will need to coordinate with SAGES regarding scheduling and registering of test takers.
- The facilitator must be available for a set-up and run-through call via Zoom 2-5 days prior to testing date. This must occur in the area where the skills test is going to be administered.
- A stable, reliable internet connection that supports uninterrupted streaming.
- Dedicated times for testing where the room housing the trainer box is located. This area cannot be used by anyone else during testing.
- All other required equipment as listed on the Remote Testing Required Materials
- All test takers will need to have purchased a valid testing voucher from SAGES prior to the exam date.
For a list of remote testing requirements/responsibilities for institutions, please go to: Remote Testing Requirements/Responsibilities.
You have a choice of how your test takers complete the written portion of the exam:
1. Have test takers take the written test immediately after completing the skills test. If you select this option, your institution will be required to have:
- A second facilitator to administer the written exam who will monitor the test takers throughout the entire test. Facilitator should not be a physician/active clinician.
- The second facilitator must be available for a brief set-up and run-through call via Zoom 2-5 days prior to testing date.
- Two – three computer stations for administering the written portion of the exam.
- A stable, reliable internet connection.
- Reserved and exclusive use of the room where the computers are located.
- Someone from the institution’s IT department must be on call throughout the remote exam period to help if there are technical difficulties.
2. Have test takers complete the written portion of the exam on their own, at any time, from any place with a strong internet connection within seven (7) days prior to or seven (7) days after they take the skills portion of the exam.
- To do this, test takers would utilize our OLP (online proctoring) testing service. They will need their own computer and register in advance for a time slot. For more information on the requirements and instructions on using OLP to take the written test, please see: OLP Information.
Email [email protected] for more information.